William Colenso College
William Colenso College is a co-ed day school catering for boys and girls aged 12-18 year old (Years 7-13). William Colenso College has won many awards:
- 2007: Best Outdoor Education program in New Zealand
- 2013: Finalist Hawke’s Bay Chamber of Commerce Business Awards
- 2016: First school to ever receive Miniistry of Education commendation for having improved NCEA results for four consecutive years.
- 2017: Prime Minister’s Excellence in Education Awards – Finalist in three categories, winner of ‘Excellence in Leadership’.
- 2018” Prime Minister’s Excellence in Education Awards – winner ‘Education Focus’, becoming first school to ever achieve Prime minister’s Awards for two consecutive years.
It is a small school with 400 students in total, including about 20-30 internationals, mostly from Asia, Europe and USA.
Most international graduates go on to university studies in New Zealand, some return home to complete their studies and others go on to tertiary studies in Australia, Singapore, Europe, Canada or USA.
School provides general high school program with visual and performing arts being a particular strength. Wide range of sporting and cultural activities are available. We are well known and recognised regionally and nationally for outstanding Outdoor Education program.
Seaside, Napier city centre, airport and most homestays are within ten minutes of the school.
International department staff of six are dedicated to welfare and education of international students.